The gateway, which was originally part of the walls which have now disappeared, has a pointed arch and at its centre is a scroll with an inscription .
Here, as in other buildings in the village, it is clear that materials from the oldest buildings have been reused. We can see the inclusion within the masonry - right on the corner of where it meets the walls of the adjacent buildings - of a bas-relief depicting two clasped hands .
Historical NotesIn the oldest part of the city, where a rocky outcrop ensured that the village maintained a strong position in the local area, we can see the historic gateway to the original urban centre of ancient Corfinium from Italic and Roman times. Later on, when the village had been forgotten and was no longer the ancient capital of the Italic people, the settlement was destroyed and the new medieval settlement was eventually called Pentima.
The entire area, which before had been a fortified town, then became a new walled village, thanks to the intervention of Bishop Trasmondo whose intention was to defend the village’s autonomy from the Norman conquest in the 11th century.
Coming from the main square, the village, which retained the name of Pentima right up until 1927, looks like a small city within a city, with streets of typically medieval houses of modest size, but also with larger, impressive buildings.